Protecting The Rights Of Vulnerable Seniors Citizens
Laughlin Legal attorneys are advocates for the elderly and their loved ones. Elder law is a relatively new field that, rather than focusing on a particular subject, focuses instead on a type of client: seniors. We are sensitive to the special needs of our elderly clients and take the time to listen carefully and to make sure that you understand all of your options. We handle a wide range of legal matters for seniors and their families, including:
- Estate planning with a special focus on planning for the possibility of long-term care with irrevocable trusts
- Qualification for benefits, including Medi-Cal to pay for skilled nursing facilities, and VA benefits to pay for in-home care or assisted living
- Gifting strategies to qualify for Medi-Cal
- Incapacity planning through the preparation of an Advance Health Care Directive and a Durable Power of Attorney
- Advising adult children of an incapacitated parent
- Mediation: We help resolve disputes between family members regarding the care of an elderly loved one, as well as disputes with assisted living and skilled nursing facilities
- Review of current estate plan
- Conservatorships: When an incapacitated person does not have a Durable Power of Attorney and an Advance Health Care Directive authorizing someone to make decisions for them, it is sometimes necessary to go to court to establish a conservatorship. We can help you through this complicated process.
CALL TODAY FOR A CONSULTATION
We work throughout the greater San Francisco Bay Area, including San Mateo, Santa Clara, San Francisco and Alameda counties.
We speak Cantonese, Mandarin and Spanish.