Laughlin Legal attorneys are advocates for the elderly and their loved ones. Elder law is a relatively new field that, rather than focusing on a particular subject, focuses instead on a type of client: seniors. We are sensitive to the special needs of our elderly clients and take the time to listen carefully and to make sure that you understand all of your options. We handle a wide range of legal matters for seniors and their families, including:
- Estate planning with a special focus on planning for the possibility of long-term care with irrevocable trusts
- Qualification for benefits, including Medi-Cal to pay for skilled nursing facilities, and VA benefits to pay for in-home care or assisted living
- Gifting strategies to qualify for Medi-Cal
- Incapacity planning through the preparation of an Advance Health Care Directive and a Durable Power of Attorney
- Advising adult children of an incapacitated parent
- Mediation: We help resolve disputes between family members regarding the care of an elderly loved one, as well as disputes with assisted living and skilled nursing facilities
- Review of current estate plan
- Conservatorships: When an incapacitated person does not have a Durable Power of Attorney and an Advance Health Care Directive authorizing someone to make decisions for them, it is sometimes necessary to go to court to establish a conservatorship. We can help you through this complicated process.
CALL TODAY FOR A CONSULTATION
We are ready to assist you any time. Please call 650-389-9133 or email us to set up an appointment. We respond promptly and will call back as soon as possible if we miss your call. We work throughout the greater San Francisco Bay Area, including San Mateo, Santa Clara, San Francisco and Alameda counties.
We speak Cantonese, Mandarin and Spanish.