In a high-asset, high-stakes divorce, switching attorneys could prove a risky move. Yet, so might sticking with a lawyer who hasn’t delivered for you. No matter how much you researched before hiring yours, they may not meet expectations. If you’re considering replacing them, it’s important to keep these tips in mind.
Reasons for replacing your attorney
Everyone deserves access to top-notch counsel during divorce. But most people fear switching attorneys during proceedings. A new attorney could lead to a change in strategy or additional costs. Yet, a good relationship with your lawyer can improve your odds of receiving a fair settlement.
You may want to appoint a new attorney if you notice any of the following signs:
- Personality mismatch: A clash in temperament may indicate an attorney is not right for your case.
- Lack of enthusiasm: If your lawyer merely goes through the motions for you, their actions could lead to an unfair settlement.
- Lack of communication: An inaccessible attorney cannot offer you effective counsel.
- Unethical or illegal practices: When your lawyer advocates for engaging in dirty tricks, it’s time to drop them.
- Shady billing practices: Your attorney may try squeezing money out of you by overbilling you or adding hidden fees and surcharges to your bill.
Qualities to look for in an attorney
Good divorce attorneys will have different personalities, so it’s important to find one whose matches yours. Yet, beyond this bond, it’s imperative to consider several other traits. One is an empathy for each client’s case. It’s crucial to find a lawyer who hears and understands your needs and knows how to fight for them. A strong divorce attorney is also a good communicator and will reply to your questions and requests in as timely a manner as possible. A quality attorney is also transparent about their fees. They will be honest and upfront about what you will pay and won’t play money games with you.
The outcome of your divorce hinges on your willingness to retain effective counsel. If your current attorney is not representing you in a satisfactory manner, it’s wise to start looking elsewhere.